Pages

01 June 2010

Tuck Shop Day

Once a month I volunteer at the school tuckshop.
My daughter loves to come and see me at recess and lunch,
clutching the coins I have given her earlier,
in her sweaty little palms.
This is not a task for the faint hearted.
Confidence comes in bundles in this school.
For those of you unfamiliar with the inner sanctum of the school tuckshop ... I give you the apple slinkly.  The average life span of one of these contraptions is one recess.
Today I announced my withdrawal from the slinky roster.
The pressure of trying to operate this thing, producing a perfectly slinkyfied apple, whilst being watched with impatience and scrutiny by the two foot tall slinky orderer is too much for my blood pressure.

5 comments:

Cornflakes and Honey said...

That's hysterical!

So what's an apple slinky? Does it get rid of the core?

Carmel's Closet said...

OK - think of a toy slinky that hops down the stairs on it's own. The apple slinky not only removes the core, but makes the body of the apple into a slinky like creature, in essence an apple spiral. Next time I am there I will take a picture for you.
In the world of 4 to 10 year olds apple slinkies rock!
Loving your new banner.
Carmel

Silver Strands said...

I love your profile picture ... the Cupie doll reminds me of my childhood :)
oxoxo
Denalee

Anonymous said...

Funny stuff, Carmel -- making an apple slinky sounds very stressful :)
The NY equivalent of being tuckshop mum is Pizza Day Mom - also a stressful experience!
xoxo
Sharon

Flotsam Friends said...

Hi Carmel, Umm, that slinky machine is sometimes broken when I do canteen! Funny that! Loving your blog. Pxxx