Pages

09 November 2010

London: Portobello Road




You'd often find me here on Saturdays in my teens
It was funky, vibrant, cool and the place to be.
My niece and I hopped on the tube here after the V&A.
It's been some years since my last visit and I
could not help but be disappointed to see main stream
shops, such as Jack Wills and Cath Kidston,
have made their way onto the Road.
Saving grace was under the flyover on The Green
where the vintage market was happily plonked
for Friday trading.  Phew!
We picked up a few yummy food items
from the street market stalls - still brilliant.
The Spanish grocer is still trading - another Phew!
My niece, not being a vintage sort of gal, like her aunty,
was delighted when I suggest we nip up the road
to White City Westfield.
I explained how this gesture
showed the depths of my love for her.
My idea of torture.
Particularly Hollister - little brother of Abercrombie & Fitch.
I fought my way through the dark, after shave laden air
to purchase her birthday present,
then plonked on their very comfy easy chair in the entrance
in some natural daylight to wait for Miss M to reappear from
the din.

I think my younger niece will be much more a vintage trolling
sort of teenager - aah - next trip.

Carmel
x

8 comments:

Chantal said...

Great photos! Love your shots of the cups.

petals and vintage said...

I love Portobello Road too. Always amazed by the sense of fun and eclectic wares (and people!). I want to go back right now!

Lovely post Carmel. xx

Sarah said...

oh, i love everything about these pictures Carmel...

Raine and Sage said...

Carmel, for me Portobello rd is where my husband (to be) and I first started talking in a pub, where it all began, just over 15 yrs ago. We lived in Bayswater, so used to go there alot. I have very fond memories of it day & night!

Cornflakes and Honey said...

Ah Portobello Road, I love it too. Definitely a vintage gal at heart but I do find myself being tempted by the modern mall! :-)

Life love, clutter and other beautiful things. said...

Gorgeous images! Love the pastels and the vintage clutter xox

Flotsam Friends said...

Looked like fun for a moment there Carmel. At least you re-lived the experience! Go younger niece!! Pxxx

Collette Osuna said...

LOVE the pink car, how cute!!

Stop by and say Hello ♥
Enter my Awesome ModCloth Giveaway