Pages

09 August 2010

Bake Me Happy

My son was away with his school for a ski trip last week.  By the end of the week I had a rapidly ripening bunch of bananas in his absence.  My fail safe solution to too many bananas is banana bread.
Here is a recipe a girlfriend shared with me at the beach one day after school a few years ago.  She always comes laden with beautiful home baked goodies for afternoon tea.  This is very easy and tastes delicious.

Banana Bread Recipe
Cake
125g Unsalted butter
¾ cup Caster sugar
2 Eggs
3 Medium ripe bananas
1 tsp Vanilla essence
¼ cup Milk
½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 cups Self raising flour

Lemon Icing
125g Light cream cheese
2 cups Icing sugar

2tbsp Lemon peel

Cake
1. Heat oven to 180oC
2. Grease and flour loaf tin or 20cm cake tin
3. Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffly
4. Add eggs
5. Stir in bananas and vanilla – the mixture will look curdled
6. Combine milk and bicarbonate of soda in small jug
7. Fold flour and milk into mixture
8. Spoon into cake or loaf pan
9. Cook on 180OC for 40 minutes

Icing
1. Beat cheese until light and fluffy
2. Add icing sugar and lemon peel
3. Spread mixture over top of banana bread

The icing is yummy.  I didn't make it for the cake in the picture as I was cutting, wrapping and freezing individual slices ready to throw into lunch boxes for school morning teas.

2 comments:

Cat said...

I love a good banana bread recipe and your icing sounds delicious, cream cheese icing is a hit with my hubby. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I hope your son had a good time on camp. Next year my big girl goes to the snow, I'm a bit nervous about that since it's in another state.:)

Louise said...

I ate quite a few slices of banana bread on our last trip over, including some in Hyde Park before picking up our hire car in Hertz. As yours looks so tempting, I must try out the recipe. I work in ounces, so must dig out my cup measures! x